Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Argh! Me Miss the Windy City!

It's been a couple days since we arrived back in the Burg from Chicago, but I had a golf outing (which we won) on Monday, so I'm just going to have to blog about the trip today. Basically, Liz arrived Thursday night and I forced her to sit through one of my slowpitch softball games. We then hung out with a few of my friends and watched inappropriate videos on the internet - always fun. 

Friday, I gave Liz the grand tour of Hartem High - I was able to stretch the normally 2-minute long tour to about an hour due to people we met throughout the hallways and rooms that were working there. I used to work in the summers at the school. Horrible job - just doing maintenance and cleaning every piece of furniture in the entire school. 
We finally got on the road to Chi-town around 11:30. (We read in a magazine that there was a pirate exhibit going on at The Field Museum. We later found that pirates were the city's main summer theme.) By the time we got to Chicago we were hungry, so we found our hotel (The Wit), and headed to Rainforest Cafe for dinner. Such a fun place to eat - it was quite humid due to the rainforest surrounding us, but it didn't matter. Fun was had by all. We checked out an art fair while there, which was pretty cool. We also were able to score some Jersey Boys tickets for the next night. I'm obsessed with them, so that made my night!

Saturday we shopped a bit in the morning. We hit the American Girl store, because what girl doesn't want to go there? We were sad to find that Samantha, one of the dolls we both have, had been archived. Apparently, even American Girls can die. :( We left the store. After shopping some more, we ran back to Gold Coast Hot Dogs and grabbed some Chicago Style dogs before heading to Mary Poppins. The show was really good! I expected it to be quite cheesy, but I really did like it (minus the obnoxious girl that sat next to me and asked her mom a question about every line in the show). I couldn't believe the kids in the show that played Michael and Jane; they were so good at their parts. They had everything down from their lines and songs to the dances and expressions. I was impressed! 
After Mary Poppins, we wasted time deciding what we were going to do next, and ended up grabbing a bite to eat at Elephant & Castle, a nice little pub style restaurant a block from our hotel. Liz and I broke from my family's big group to head to the Bank of America Theatre to see Jersey Boys. Just as the first time I saw it, it was amazing. Honestly, the plot of the story isn't that great - just the story of how the guys were in and out of jail and debt, trying to make it big as a band. The music is what really makes the show. I just have a thing for Frankie Valli's high voice and the Four Seasons' dance moves. Overall, it was glorious. We grabbed some appetizers and drinks at a bar afterwards with my mom, aunt, and cousin.

Sunday we headed to Navy Pier, which is just a pier with lots of shops, restaurants, and a giant ferris wheel. Liz made a Build-A-Bear panda and we walked along the pier. What really topped the trip off were a couple of women dressed as lady pirates. One had a guitar and they were trying to create 50 "sea shanties", or songs. They sang me a song about coloring with the world's largest crayon, and Liz a song about riding a dinosaur, which got a dirty, if you can imagine. As we were leaving, we saw four pirates coming towards us. We wanted a picture with them so I greeted them with "Ahoy, mates!" Their reply, "Argh, she speaks the language!"


As I posted in an earlier blog, I knew I would miss the Windy City once we left, and I do. Back to working at the pro shop another week and working on the golf game. Summer is absolutely flying by, I can't believe it. On the bright side, only 2 more quizzes, 1 test, and a bonus project due in my online class! 

No comments:

Post a Comment