Friday, June 19, 2009

'Tis the Season

Tis the season!...for tornadoes, that is. Last year, or maybe two years ago, part of a tree in our yard fell on my bedroom in the middle of the night during a bad storm. I remember hearing a massive crash, jumping out of my bed instantly, and running to the basement thinking that our house was being torn apart by a tornado. Turns out, there was no tornado, at least not by our house...

I reminisced of that day last Thursday at about 5:20 in the a.m. I awoke to really loud wind, really loud rain, and lots of thunder and lightning. I was in the same sleepy state of mind as I was that time the tree tried to flatten my room, so I instantly thought it was a tornado. My mom was working (she works nights) but my dad was home. I was expecting him to be in the kitchen watching the weather, but noooo...he is in his room (right next to mine) sleeping through Hurricane Katrina of the midwest. Here's how that conversation went:
 
"DAD....it's, uh, windy."
"Yeah, it is. Go sleep in Scott's room." 
"Shouldn't we go to the basement? The sirens are going off in Hartsburg."
"I think that's just the furnace."

I am no fool - the sirens were going off five miles from my house. We stayed upstairs, however, "whethering the storm". Anyway, a telephone pole at the end of our driveway snapped during that storm. I took a picture on my phone of them putting it back up...kind of an interesting Thursday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment